Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tangy Ginger Lime Apple Ribbon Salad! GF, V, SCD & Paleo!

Hey Happy Tummies!

I hope everyone is staying warm with these plummeting temps around the country!!



I have to admit: I love getting all snuggled up and watching a movie, knowing that it's blustery and freezing outside:)

Speaking of movies, I cannot WAIT for the new Hunger Games movie to come out on Friday!



I'm going to see it with my fam when I go home next week for Thanksgiving.

I can't wait to see my little niece!! Isn't she just the cutest ever?!


And I guessss I'm excited to see this little princess too :) haha



SO tonight, I made a particularly delicious and colorful meal.



I used my fave gadget...the spiralizer! (You can make this without a spiralizer, just chop the veggies into small pieces and it'll be a chopped salad!)

I call this colorful pile of deliciousness the Tangy Ginger Lime Apple Ribbon Salad!



Now friends, don't take the word "salad" lightly --- this dish PACKS. A. PUNCH!

"Noodles" of carrots, beets, zucchini, and cucumber smothered in a nutty ginger lime sauce, and kissed with cilantro and honey crisp apples!



Now, if you've been following my blog, you'll know the special place honey crisp apples have in my heart:) I mean, I love them, like woah.



I even made an entire post about them a while back :) haha

And let me tell you, those sweet little nuggets of honey crisp glory really shine in this dish.




And it's gluten and Grain Free, Vegan, Specific Carb Diet friendly, and Paleo!

Here's what you need: (Serves 1 as a main, 2 as a side)

1/2 zucchini, made into noodles
1/2 cucumber, made into noodles
1 carrot, made into noodles
1/2 beet, made into noodles
1/2 honey crisp apple, diced
1/2 red onion, sliced paper thin
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, minced

Sauce:
1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated on a micro plane
3 Tbsp Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
8 drops pure liquid stevia alcohol-free (SCD use 1/2 tsp honey)
2-3 Tbsp water

Spiralize (or chop) your veggies and put them in a large bowl.

After you slice your onions, let them soak in a bowl of ice water for about 5-10 minutes. (This gets rid of that harsh, onion-y bite that raw onions have)

Combine your sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Add enough water to thin out the sauce until it is "drizzly" - about 2 - 3 Tbsp.

Toss your veggie noodles, onions, cashews, and cilantro with the sauce until evenly coated.

Garnish with cashews and cilantro.



My goodness, you guys. This was SO GOOD! This dressing. I'm serious, I could drink it it was so delicious! Tangy, fresh, a little gingery, nutty, sweet -- AMAZING!!

It pairs so wonderfully with the subtly sweet veggie noodles, the buttery cashews, and the bright and fresh cilantro.



And it's so crunchy and fabulous. My favorite part was the honey crisp apple bits -- super sweet and juicy.

Finally, it really is a beautiful dish with all the colors. Red, Orange, Green, Purple -- it's a rainbow of nutritious goodness!

With this cilantro and lime action, all I need is a margarita! :D



Do you like trilogy movies like the Hunger Games, or Twilight, or Lord of the Rings?

Until next time!

Also -- be sure to follow GlutenFreeHappyTummy on Facebook or Twitter for instant updates!!

67 comments:

  1. This salad looks SO delicious and refreshing!! I'll have to try to make it soon! :)

    I'm a definitely a fan of trilogy movies too and love the original Indiana Jones series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! I actually have never seen Indiana jones! Looks like I know what my next netflix is! :) thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your night!

      Delete
  2. Agh, I need to get a spiralizer! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! Yeah it's definitely a fun gadget:) glad you stopped by! Have a great night!

      Delete
  3. I have only recently started putting apple in my salad and I have been missing out for so long. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dannii! I know, it gives such a great crunch and sweetness :) thanks for stopping by! enjoy your afternoon!

      Delete
  4. Reason #4,000,000 why I need a spiralizer for Christmas. Beautiful! Have fun at the Hunger Games when you're home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thank you Lauren! Yeah there's one at BB&B for 8 bucks -- a perfect stocking stuffer! :D thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your afternoon!

      Delete
  5. I would definitely order that Salad in a restaurant. Too much work for me to try at home.

    Roxy is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shen! Haha yeah she knows it too:P thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an awesome weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love spiralized salads and I am obsessed with honey crisp apples. Fun to discover your blog too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deborah! and girl, I feel ya about the Honey Crisp!! :D haha thanks for stopping by! have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. I am so loving the cooler temps! All I want to do curl up with a soft blanket and a good movie! I love using my spiralizer! This salad sounds awesome and it is so colorful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isadora! Yep, that's the best part of winter! Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  8. The salad looks so colourful and refreshing. Totally love its crunchiness and freshness.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I do love colorful food:) hehe thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. This salad looks delicious! So festive and healthy at the same time! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mira! So glad you stopped by! Enjoy your evening:)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, I can't get over how good this looks! Those colours *_*. P.S. I love your plate, those swirls are adorable! And I totally understand the thing about honey crisp apples too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tashiana! I really appreciate it:) yeah I thought the plates were really girly and fun:) hehe glad you stopped by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. They say we eat with our eyes first...so glad we do..this salad is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks Ann! So glad you stopped by! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  12. WOW! This must be one of the prettiest salads I've ever seen, and it sounds great! And your niece is adorable - she looks around the same age as my little daughter (who is almost 18 months old) What a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much amy! Aren't little girls so cute at this age? :) so glad you stopped by!! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  13. This is a beautiful salad. I adore beets and love them prepared this way. Definitely making this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I hope you love it:) glad you stopped by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. This looks amazing! It's just the kind of thing I would eat for dinner. I'm obsessed with honeycrisp apples too. I had a huge one for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Laura! ooh sounds like a good breakfast :) haha thanks for stopping by! enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  15. I seriously need to break my spiralizer out of the box! What a beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes do it! do it! :) hehe thanks for stopping by, Liz! have an awesome weekend!

      Delete
  16. Such gorgeous colors in your salad! I am salivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! :) so glad you stopped by! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  17. This sounds and looks absolutely AH-MAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jacquee! btw i love how you spell your name:) glad you stopped by! have a great weekend!

      Delete
  18. Colourful salads are always so appealing! And I can just tell how crunchy delicious this salad is :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lorraine! crunch factor: 10! thanks for stopping by! have a great night!

      Delete
  19. This salad belongs on the cover of a food magazine. And BTW, your photography is amazing. Very nice work all the way around!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how tasty and colorful that salad looks! <3

    That dog is absolutely adorable too! :]!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farrah! hahaha yeah, Roxy knows it too! she's quite the princess:) thanks for stopping by! enjoy your day!

      Delete
  21. This salad looks amazing! I've always loved apple in salad. Reminds me of a layer salad my mom used to make - but that one wasn't half as healthy as yours (mayo and all...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina! yeah, I love the sweetness the apples give a salad:) glad you stopped by! have a great day!

      Delete
  22. This is such a beautiful salad! It's like a breath of fresh air in the midst of all these rich dishes out there right now. And honeycrisp apples - I am obsessed. I currently have some in my fruit bowl that are the size of larger grapefruits. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! Ooooh lucky you! yeah I thought this might be a welcome change from all the thanksgiving recipes right now. thanks for stopping by! enjoy your afternoon!

      Delete
  23. Beautiful salad! I could probably eat this salad every day. I love the ginger lime flavors. It is like happiness on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley! haha i like that -- happiness on a plate:) glad you stopped by! enjoy your evening!

      Delete
  24. This is so pretty with all of the beautiful colored "ribbons"! I love the sound of the sweet apples in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marcie! The apples were definitely a highlight:) thanks for stopping by! have a great night!

      Delete
  25. What a really beautiful salad, I could seriously devour this for my dinner tonight! Movie trilogies are cool, I am a Star Wars fan (originals not prequels) Back to the Future fan and of course Indiana Jones :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Emma! I definitely DID devour this! haha can you believe I've never seen the Star Wars movies?! i know-- un-American lol thanks for stopping by! have a great evening!

      Delete
  26. Hi Caralyn, thanks for the comment on my blog!
    Coming soon vegan cupcakes, only for you.
    PD. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Maribel! can't wait to check them out :) so glad you stopped by! enjoy your evening!

      Delete
  27. this is so pretty and colorful I love it! ... and the pupperz! adorable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Michele. Yeah roxy's pretty cute:) glad you stopped by! Happy Monday! :)

      Delete
  28. What an eye popping salad. Just love all the colors you have going on here. Was considering getting a spiralizer but I haven't committed yet. The ginger/lime/apple combination sounds like a party in my mouth. Amazing. Trying to eat super healthy this week so I can splurge on mashed potatoes later in the week. Plus, my body demands healthy food. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura! If definitely was a party! :D haha, that's a great plan - mashy taters are definitely worth the splurge:) glad you stopped by! have a great day!

      Delete
  29. This is gorgeous!

    Yes I love the Hunger Games books and movies--super excited to watch the newest one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryea! I know I can't wait for the new HG too! Glad you stopped by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  30. There's nothing better I love more than a great salad. This looks absolutely amazing. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you stopped by! Have a great night!

      Delete
  31. Wow this is such a beautiful salad. You make healthy gluten free food look so good! I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Kelley! :) have a great night! glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  32. Hi Caralyn, really like the way you prepare veggies, this really looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cheri! I appreciate that:) I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving! glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  33. Have you tried Braeburn apples? I think I prefer them to Honeycrisp, even! I'm suuuper picky about my apples. Red Delicious have no place in my home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Braeburn! You've sparked my interest:) hehe I know same here--red delicious gotta go!! Thanks for your comments, Christina! Have a happy thanksgiving!

      Delete
  34. Are you looking for free Instagram Likes?
    Did you know you can get them AUTOMATICALLY & ABSOLUTELY FREE by getting an account on You Like Hits?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!