Friday, June 6, 2014

Brussels Sprouts Italiano! GF, V, SCD, BED, & Paleo!

Hey Happy Tummies!

How's everyone's week going?

It's FRIDAY!! What a week, what. a. week!



Can I just say...I am flabbergasted that it is already JUNE! I mean...seriously?! We're almost officially in the summer season. Spring in NYC has been pretty crazy...I mean, I was still wearing a heavy winter coat just last weekend! Seriously! It's been unseasonably COLD! I'm so excited to finallyyyy be able to whip out the shorts and sundresses! :)



It's pretty clear: I love food. But there's one food in particular that holds a special place in my heart:) haha....and that, it the Brussels sprout!






Yep, the humble Brussels sprout is probably my favorite food...well, besides butternut squash...and a sweet Honeycrisp apple...and dried mangos...and gosh, I could go on forever...haha

But for real, I love Brussels sprouts. SO, tonight, I decided to make a delicious recipe starring those little nuggets.

I made Brussels Sprouts Italiano!




SO. GOOD. And it's Gluten Free, Vegan, Specific Carb Diet and Body Ecology Diet friendly, and Paleo!

Here's what you need: (Serves 1)

12 brussels spouts, halved
4 mushrooms, sliced (BED use shittake)
handful grape tomatoes (BED use red peppers)
1/2 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
fresh basil, chopped

In a large, nonstick skillet, sauté your Brussels sprouts over medium heat for 7 minutes per side, in 2 tsps EVOO, salt, pepper, and half of the dried basil and oregano. Do this by placing them cut side-down, and then let them sit and brown for about 7 minutes. Then, flip, and let sit for another 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate nonstick skillet, brown your mushrooms, using the same technique for 4 minutes per side, in 1 tsp EVOO. Then, add your onions, and an additional tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, and the other half of your herbs, and let them soften for about 3 minutes before adding in the tomatoes and garlic. Let those cook for another 3 minutes.




Finally, combine the onion and mushroom mixture with the Brussels sprouts and toss together. Before serving, stir in the chopped basil.




There's nothing better than Brussels sprouts and homey Italian flavors. It's seriously the best combination ever. The fresh basil complements the bright tomatoes and earthy mushrooms. And the oregano and basil give it nice, hearty warmth.





And the textures are fabulous. The Brussels sprouts are nice and perfectly crunchy. They've softened just the right amount where they've still got a nice bite, but are a tiny bit soft on the inside. And they've caramelized wonderfully, giving them a delicate sweet note. The onions have also caramelized, and become almost slurpy. Finally, the little cherry tomatoes explode in your mouth, giving you a surprise *brust* of sweetness.




This meal is Italian at its finest. It really elevates the Brussels sprout to "superstar" status!




What's your favorite food?!

Until Next Time!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics. Smart move making it in a skillet, cuz down here, it be hawt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shen! Yeah, ovens and summertime definitely don't mix! Thanks for stopping by! hope you're having a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You managed to get all of my favorite veggies into one dish! It looks gorgeous and is definitely a dish that I would like to try! Really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! haha, yeah tomatoes, Brussels sprout, mushrooms...it's a good mix:) glad you stopped by! hope you're having a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  3. Brussels sprout lovers of the world, unite! You are totally speaking my language here since I adore the tiny cabbages, too. Man oh man, is that golden brown sear perfect or what?! I would love a plate of these... Who am I kidding, I would much rather a giant vat of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! haha i agree...Brussels Sprouts should be consumed by the vat! :D thanks for stopping by! have a great night!

      Delete
  4. I can't claim brussels sprouts are my favorite but I'm slowly coming around. This recipe is just the thing to pull me in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you so much! I hope you try it and love it:) glad you stopped by! Have a great night!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!