Friday, February 15, 2013

Mango Avocado Flatbread w/ Sweet & Tangy Almond Butter Drizzle! GF, V, BED, SCD!

What. A. Week!!


I don't know about you, but mine was absolutely jam packed! Auditions and interviews...gotta love the hustle! I bought a new pink blazer for an audition....what do you think!? :)



So I have a super exciting recipe to share with you! Brace yourselves, because this one is fab.u.lous! A Mango Avocado Flatbread with a Sweet & Tangy Almond Butter Drizzle!



Yeah. Just let that sink it.



It was so good, it made me literally get out of my chair and do a little dance:)



And it's Gluten Free and Specific Carb Diet friendly with a Vegan and Body Ecology Diet Option!



Here's what you need:

Crust:
3/4 cup almond flour
2 egg whites (Vegan option: 1 flax/chia egg)
1/4 tsp salt

Toppings:
1 avocado, mashed
juice of half a lime

1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and sliced thin on a mandoline
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 mango, cubed
1 green onion, chopped
cilantro, chopped

Almond Butter Drizzle:
1/3 cup almond butter
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
20 drops pure liquid stevia (BED use alcohol free)
healthy pinch of salt
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1-3 Tbsp water (to get a drizzly consistency)



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix your almond flour with your eggs and salt. Put the dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place another sheet on top and "smoosh" it out, making a crust. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

Meanwhile, prep your veggies. Also, make your drizzle by mixing everything with a fork until drizzly. Also, mash your avocado with the juice of 1/2 a lime and a healthy pinch of salt.

When you take your crust out of the oven, spread your avocado in an even layer, leaving a 1 inch border. Top it with your veggies and mango, sprinkle with cilantro, and drizzle liberally with your almond butter sauce!



Note: You will have extra veggies and sauce. What I did was save the veggies and sauce in separate containers, and made them for lunch the next day as a yummy salad! The sauce also makes a great dip for fruit and veggies!



Hold on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen, because this meal was SOOOOO good!! Oh my gosh, I don't know where to start! Lets start with the looks...because, you eat with your eyes first! The colors were absolutely jumping off the plate! Red, Green, Yellow, Orange! It was just gorgeous!



And then the flavor! Wow oh Wow. The buttery avocado was the perfect backdrop for the sweet veggies, and salty, nutty crust. There was a slight bite from the green onions, and then BAM you got this intense sweetness from the mango. And the drizzle was slightly tangy, but wonderfully sweet and nutty, all highlighted by the fresh pop from the cilantro!



And then the textures were amazing. The crust was crunchy and nutty -- you could actually pick it up like a pizza! The avocado was creamy, the veggies were incredibly crunchy, and the mango was juicy and sweet.



A perfect 10 if I do say so myself:)

What are you looking forward to this weekend?

Until next time!

A mandoline and a good knife were key tools for this recipe. Here are the one's I use and love:

19 comments:

  1. Hope your auditions went well. Love the pink blazer!

    How many crusts does this make? How many people does it serve?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chris! It actually makes one crust and serves one hungry person. It could serve two if you serve it with a salad or other side:). Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Cute blazer!! How did the auditions go?

    This looks amazing- love all the healthy fats! Buttery avocado and creamy almond butter, this sounds insane! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gabby!! They actually went really well! Thanks for asking:) glad you stopped by! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy! To make it SCD legal, I'll substitute honey for the stevia... Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanks Judith! Yep! Oops it seems I forgot to add that piece to the recipe! Have a great Saturday! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This looks fantastic Caralyn! Good luck with all your auditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicky! Glad you stopped by! Happy saturday!! ;)

      Delete
  5. That looks amazing, as usual! So beautiful, the colors can't be beat. The blazer looks lovely on you. Good luck with the auditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thank you so much! I hope you're having a wonderful weekend! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Mmmm - I'm actually a big fan of mango and avocado together. One of my favourite sushi rolls has mango and avocado together :). Something about the creaminess of the textures and the tropical flavours....so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anna!!! Mmmmm...sushi. That's making me hungry! Haha thanks for stopping by! Have an awesome day!

      Delete
  7. Wow these look great! Avocado + mango = perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alaine! I would have to agree-its my favorite combination! So glad you stopped by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Hey Caralyn! I'm SO sorry I haven't been over here in forever. I'm so silly I forgot to update my blogroll. Anyway, I hope that you've been doing well! Your recipes look as beautiful and colorful as always and I love your pink blazer :) The flatbread looks delicious and I'm a total sucker for mango.

    Hope your auditions went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Caralyn! I'm SO sorry I haven't been over here in forever. I'm so silly I forgot to update my blogroll. Anyway, I hope that you've been doing well! Your recipes look as beautiful and colorful as always and I love your pink blazer :) The flatbread looks delicious and I'm a total sucker for mango.

    Hope your auditions went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sarah!!!! No worries! It's so good to hear from you! I hope things are well in your neck of the woods. They did go well! I got 2 callbacks! Woo! Thanks for asking. I'm glad you stopped by! Enjoy your night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Caralyn! So glad I found your website! Your recipes are delicious and inspired- exactly what I need since I am beginning to follow the BED. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the future!
    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you're finding my recipes helpful:) thanks for stopping by! And best of luck on your BED journey:)

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!