Monday, January 21, 2013

Stoker w/ Nicole Kidman!

Well today was a very exciting day! As you know, I'm at the Sundance Film Festival, and as I eluded to yesterday, we were going to a premiere today. The movie we saw was a very smart and gripping thriller...Stoker!

It was a brilliant movie starring Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska (from Alice in Wonderland). It was very....Hitchcock. A psychological thriller about a twisted relationship between an Uncle and his niece. Very "Sundance-y." And I loved it.



But the coolest thing was that the entire cast was there! You see, after the screenings, the director, producer, and sometimes the cast come out on stage for a Q&A session! The director was Korean and didn't speak a lick of English, so he had an interpreter. Can you believe that they shot this amazing film by communicating through an interpreter?! SO INCREDIBLE. Art has no language barrier.



So tonight, we went to this incredible Seafood Buffet at the Deer Valley Resort. This place was out of this world. Let me preface this by saying that it is rated in America's Top Restaurants. And I know why. It was outrageous. An extravaganza in every sense of the word. You know the "midnight buffets" on cruise ships when they have all the ice sculptures and fan fare...well, multiply that by like...25.

And I know, I know...this blog says that I am vegan...and I am. But this was a very expensive restaurant experience, and I will eat fish on this occasion. :)

Onto the food:

There. was. everything.

crab legs, blackberries,  & grapes

Seafood Galore: Fresh crab legs, smoked salmon, shrimp, oysters, clams, sushi, ahi tuna, sea bass, mahi mahi...all amazing. They had artisan cheese plates, gorgeous fresh fruit, a salad station, a grill with various meats, and delicious vegetarian entrees, including soups and acorn squash.

Honey glazed Acorn Squash with broccoli and almonds

And get this: They were SO accommodating with my gluten/soy/dairy free requests. They actually made these california sushi rolls especially for my sister-in-law and I. Their cali rolls used fresh crab (imitation crab has gluten!!) that had mayo in it and another ingredient with traces of gluten. So, the chef made some with just the straight crab especially for us!! How incredible was that!?

Real crab California Rolls! (I didn't eat the rice)

I have to say, the hardest part was turning down the dessert table. (They had no Specific Carb Diet options...because everything had sugar, gluten, or dairy....so I had lots of strawberries and fruit!) But they probably had 20 different choices for dessert. And they did have GF stuff, but those options had SCD illegal ingredients.

OK, I'm now going to bed super full, but with a very happy tummy:)


2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are having a great time!

    Just curious, how were you able to have the acorn squash if it had honey on it? I thought you could not have the sugar in honey.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! Thank you so much. You know that's a great question. Honey is actually on the Specific Carb Diet. I haven't been having it because I had been a little weary of the sugar after being on the body Ecology Diet. So tonight was my first time having it! I only had one piece as an experiment and everything's was okay! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a terrific day!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!