Saturday, December 29, 2012

Let the Adventure Begin!


I grew up in Ohio: read: meat and potatoes.  My father has been on the Atkins diet for several years. Needless to say, when I was forced to come home because of my current UC flare and was eating a gluten free vegan diet, they were less than thrilled about eating “rabbit food.” But, they were so supportive, that they decided to eat what I was eating.  This propelled me into my culinary conquest: If I was going to subject my parents to a gluten free, vegan diet, I was going to make sure they were eating REALLY GOOD food.
My other stipulation: everything had to be really easily digestible and organic.
I decided to ease them in with some good old Mexican Happy Tummy Casserole.
Happy Tummy Mexican Casserole!
Bottom Layer: Cup of brown rice cooked in vegetable stock.
4th Layer: Put 1 can organic black beans (drained and rinsed) into the food processor with the juice of 1/2 a lime, 1/2 an onion, 1 garlic clove, a handful of cilantro and 1/2 t of cumin. Pulse 3 or 4 times to break down beans slightly. Spread over rice.
3rd Layer: Veggie Shreds Cheddar flavor.
Put under the broiler until you see the cheeze “melt”
2-1 Layer: Top the cheeze with diced tomatoes, green onions and sliced black olives.
Serve with a dollop of my Rockin’ Guacamole and organic, non-GMO corn chips and enjoy!
Rockin’ Guacamole:
2 avocados
1/2 onion
1 clove of garlic
juice of 1/2 a lime
de-seeded diced tomato
chopped cilantro
salt
Put the avocado in your serving bowl and squeeze the lime juice to prevent browning. With a knife cut it to form chunks. Then with the back of a fork, mash till desired consistency (I like chunky). Add remaining ingredients, minus the tomatoes, and incorporate. Finally, gently fold in the tomatoes. Serve immediately or chill for an hour in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!