Sunday, December 30, 2012

Grilled Mahi Mahi w/ Mango Salsa & LIme Rice!


I now understand why they say dogs are (wo)man’s best friend.  I have a confession: my dog, Roxy, has not always been my #1 fan. In fact…you could say we had a love/hate relationship. I bought her with my own money when I was in 7th grade. I fell in love with “the cute papillon in the window”…goodbye savings, hello Roxy.  Well, lets just say she bonded with my mother…and ONLY my mother.
my new best friend...she CHOSE to lay there!
To make a long story short, it seems that Roxy has a sixth sense and can tell that I am in pain. She has been my steadfast companion while I’ve been in my Ulcerative Colitis flare: staying by my side all day. And she now comes up and lays on my chest! I was able to snap a couple pictures of my new best friend. :)
Roxy...hanging by my side:)
It may have taken 9 years, but she finally has come around.
mahi mahi with amazing mango salsa
For dinner tonight, I made Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa, and crisp cilantro lime wild rice! Ooooh boy this was amazing. My parents raved, saying this was the best meal I’ve made yet!
For the salsa:
1/4 red onion – fine dice–almost minced
1/2 yellow pepper, dice
1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
1 mango, diced
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp EVOO
chopped cilantro
salt and pepper
Combine all in a bowl and pop in fridge for a half hour. This recipe originally calls for red pepper, but we only had yellow.
moist, flakey, and completely delicious
This was the garnish for my Grilled Mahi Mahi! Oh boy! Our friends atLobsta Bakes have done it again! They provide Cincinnati with fresh-never frozen, wild, ocean caught, flown-in-daily-from-Maine, antibiotic-free fish! They have been an absolute lifesaver since I’ve been in the flare and eating The Maker’s Diet. Anyway! I grilled the Mahi Mahi steaks till they were flakey and juicy.
This is my dad’s favorite fish. He likes the meaty texture, (and the mango salsa didn’t hurt either :) )
cilantro lime rice and gorgeous mahi mahi
Finally, I made wild rice that was flavored with cilantro and lime. Holy Cow. Zesty!! First, wild rice is so fantastic because of its nutty flavor and crunchy texture. Not to mention the drama it brings to the plate with its dark, deep hue. I made it with veg stock, and then after it had evaporated all the liquid, I stirred in the zest of 1/2 a lime, the juice of 1/2 a lime, and a big bunch of chopped cilantro.
This meal brings a great *zing* to your palate with the sweet mango and the tangy lime and fresh cilantro. You definitely will not be disappointed!
light, airy, and so adorable!
Finally, I had the urge to make french macaroons again yesterday, and they came out much prettier than the first “rustic” batch! The recipe is here. I left them on the counter for a bit longer than 15 minutes, and that made the difference!
chocolate peanut butter macaroon!
I filled them with chocolate icing, peanut butter icing, and “swirl.” I just mixed the named ingredient with a touch of almond milk and confectioner’s sugar. How pretty!
I used my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer to whip the egg whites for the Macaroons. It's such an amazing machine, I highly recommend it! And I grilled my Mahi Mahi on my grill pan! A grill pan is so convenient...especially in the winter! Here's the one I use:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!