Monday, December 31, 2012

Birthday Bash!


Today was a great day! My brother and sister-in-law came in town to celebrate my dad’s birthday! We had such a great day, catching up and hanging out.  There’s something almost electric in the air when *most of* the whole family is together. There’s lightness and joy in every breath. Not to be sappy, but there’s nothing quite like a united family. And I am so thankful for mine.
ahi tuna...so succulant
So I know that today is St. Patrick’s Day, and we’re supposed to be honoring our Irish heritage (50% woo woo!)….but…………we ate Chinese food tonight instead! Nothing against our potato loving ancestors, but Lobsta Bakes just had the.most.amazing sushi grade Ahi Tuna today. It was one of their fresh catches. Wild, ocean-caught, and the most beautiful ruby red color! We just couldn’t pass it up. Chinese Ahi Tuna it is! And hey…we ate potatoes yesterday! :)
mmm!
I’ve made this fantastic meal before….you can get my recipe here. I seriously recommend trying this! Everyone literally licked their plates. It was delicious!
Ahi Tuna –conceptually– can be a bit frightening…nearly raw fish?!?! But fear not, Happy Tummies!! Sushi Grade is your key here…..and that is why Lobsta Bakes is so incredible. Their fish is naturally Sushi Grade because it is so dang fresh! Ahi Tuna is best served rare –just seared– because the consistency in the ruby center melts in your mouth like butter. It is SO outrageously tasty and decadent.
The veggie rice was also amazing. The vegetables were so fresh and crisp with great Chinese flavors! Beautiful colors, bright flavors, and wonderful textures! The nutty rice, the salty sauce, buttery tuna, crunchy peppers and carrots, and peas that *pop* in your mouth. Truly a magnificent dining experience.
my half eaten piece....i was just so excited, I forgot to take a "before" picture!
Finally…no birthday is complete without a birthday cake!! Last night, I wasn’t able to partake in dessert, but tonight, I was in hog heaven! :) I made a fantastic Gluten Free Vanilla cake with Coconut Oil Buttercream. Oh boy. Somebody pinch me.
truly amazing gluten free, dairy free cake! We made a good dent!
Confession: It was a cake mix. But such a good one and I HIGHLY recommend it! It was Pamela’s GF Vanilla Cake Mix. It was not your typical dry, crumbly, dense, chalky, gummy, gluten-free disaster. Quite the opposite. It was glorious! Light, fluffy, and completely delicious!
Bengals Birthday Napkins:)
Finally, the icing….my oh my. Can you hook me up to an IV of this stuff?? (This is coming from someone who hasn’t had sugar in 6 months!) Because of my UC flare, I’ve eliminated dairy from my diet…so how do you make a butter-less buttercream? Some vegan icings use margarine, which I am against….its just a bunch of hydrogenated oils and processed chemicals. So I used…COCONUT OIL!
Coconut oil is amazing. It is solid at room temperature, and liquefies if you heat it –like for a stir fry. But there are SO MANY outstanding health benefits of coconut oil. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, full of antioxidants, helps with digestion, nourishing for your hair, and is actually heart healthy, despite its high saturated fat content! You see, the molecule chains are much shorter than all other types of saturated fat which have long chains. Coconut oil’s molecules are processed by the liver and used as instant energy, instead of being stored in the body as fat, like butter and shortening. It’s truly an amazing ingredient that is being continually researched for its amazing health benefits.
outrageous coconut oil "buttercream" frosting!
Frosting:
1 cup coconut oil
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 – 2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp almond milk
Blend the coconut oil until smooth. Then slowly add the rest of your ingredients while you blend.  Store at room temp, and frost on a completely cooled cake. It will melt when it gets too warm.
This frosting was lick the bowl good. We couldn’t get enough! My mom even said she preferred it over regular buttercream because it had “a more wonderful consistency!” This cake was a food-bliss moment:)
Finally, as I mentioned yesterday, I had a 3 1/3 hour doctor appointment for my UC. I am so tired of being sick, and I think we’ve finally found a natural therapy that is going to work! Right now, I’m still taking Asacol, but “stepping up” treatment in the drug world would be either a dirty steroid, an immune system modulator (which basically suppresses your immune system to the point of almost non-existance), or Remicade, which I don’t even really know what it does, but it involved and IV 4 times a week, and seriously messes up your immune system, health and wellbeing. Not to mention, is 15 Grand a month. So we decided to try a naturopath. We are very hopeful. UC is an autoimmune disease, and so my immune system attacks itself. This naturopath is going to calm it down, and rebuild it. Sounds good. But it comes as a full-time job………check out my pills….4 times a day.
new pill regimen...4x a day. And yes, that's my bag from NYC...I haven't unpacked yet
Wish me luck.
The delectable frosting was made possible by my wonderful hand mixer. It's so much easier than whipping out the big stand mixer. I also used my grill pan to make the Ahi Tuna. Grill pans are lifesavers, especially in the winter. They're so convenient. These are the tools I used:

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!