Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Tale of Two Potatoes


What do you do when you have 2 potatoes — one russet and one sweet? — You make potatoes two ways! That was the story at our house last night…we had 2 lonely potatoes that needed to get eaten…soooo we made home fries, and sweet potato chips!
mmmmmmm!
Along with our potato extravaganza, we had a beautiful Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata! YUM!! This is such an easy, quick, and inexpensive way to have a really delicious meal!
1/2 onion, diced
bunch of asparagus, sliced in 1 in sections
6-7 button mushrooms, sliced
4 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, beaten
tender asparagus peeking through :)
I sautéed 1/2 onion in 1 tsp EVOO with salt and pepper in an oven safe, non-stick skillet. After about 5 minutes, I added in my asparagus.  I let that cook for about 4 more minutes, and then added the mushrooms. Once they became tender, I took my veggies off the heat (so the eggs won’t scramble when I add them). When the pan had cooled, I poured the eggs into the pan and put it back on the burner.  I stirred it until I felt the mixture start to thicken….then stopped stirring and let it set.  Once the outside edges had set, I ran a silicone spatula along the edge.  I then sprinkled the top with a tiny bit of raw goat cheese, and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, until the eggs have set.
Next, the potatoes:
fantastic textures in our two potatoes
1) Home fries: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take your russet potato and cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Then drain and dry them as best you can. I wrapped them in a clean kitchen towel several times.  Place on an olive-oil-sprayed baking sheet and pour 1 tsp EVOO over top and toss to coat. Lightly sprinkle with s & p (you will add more later), and add in about 1 T chopped thyme and 2 minced garlic cloves and toss again. Bake for 30-ish minutes: stirring every 10 minutes until nice and golden brown: crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. When you take them out, sprinkle with more salt to taste.
2) Sweet Potato Chips: Use a mandolin and carefully slice your sweet potato into chips. In a bowl, toss with 1 tsp EVOO and salt. You can also add some cumin if you want a little spice. Place in a single layer on an olive oil sprayed baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, flipping half way through.  The bake time will vary depending on the thickness of your chips.
wow, yum!
This meal was so enjoyable. The potatoes were such a highlight.  The sweet, crispiness of the chips with a slightly tender center were so tasty. And the home fries…wow. The outside was crunchy while the inside was soft and pillowy. The frittata really brought a lot to the party. The succulent asparagus offered a depth to the dish that paired wonderfully with the slight tang from the sprinkle of goat cheese.
Last night I slept through watched the Oscars last night. It looks like I need to see Hugo and The Artist!
Here’s to a happy, healthy week!
Tools used in this recipe: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!