Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Gluten Free Super Bowl!


Superbowl Sunday.  One of the busiest pizza-ordering days of the year. While the nation is gearing up for a great game with dangerously delectable nibbles, I was making gluten-free, healthy goodies.
Dinner and a snack. That sounded good. For a game time nibble, I made my UNBELIEVABLE guacamole. I served it with corn chips, brown rice chips for me (no corn right now) and veggies.
yumm
Just a word of warning. If you make this guac, you WILL become addicted. I mean, you will make it again tomorrow. Its THAT good.
2 ripe avocados
1/4-1/2 red onion
1 clove minced or grated garlic
1 tomato, seeded and diced
cilantro, chopped
juice of 1/2 a lime
salt
In a bowl, mash the avocado and immediately salt and squeeze lime juice over it. (This prevents browning). Stir in the rest of your ingredients, except for the tomatoes.  Fold them in at the very very end so that it doesn’t water the guac down and turn it red. Refrigerate for an hour, or serve immediately if you just can’t wait!
healthy and delicious!
For dinner, we made gluten free, vegan pizza! (with raw goat milk cheese, so its not truuuuly vegan).
gluten free *almost* vegan pizza!
I sautéed onions, mushrooms and garlic; and then I built my pizza.
I used Udi’s pre-made GF pizza crust and it was GREAT! SO convenient, and great texture and flavor. I put organic tomato sauce with salt and pepper as the base. Then, I sprinkled chiffonade basil over it. I covered it with my onion and mushroom mixture. I also added red bell pepper. I sprinkled chopped sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. Finally, I blanketed the entire pizza in Veggie Shreds Mozzarella Cheeze and shredded goat cheese. I baked it for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melted. SO DELICIOUS.
mmm mmm good!
Just a note on goat cheese.  Dairy is something to be avoided at all costs when you have ulcerative colitis.  However: raw, unpasteurized goat’s milk cheese is okay. It is on the Maker’s Diet and offers calcium, protein and is y-u-m-m-o! We used Old Kentucky Tomme goat cheese, which is raw, organic, and made at a local farm in Indiana.
To get a beautiful chiffonade, or thin strips, of basil, you need a good, sharp knife. A good chef's knife is an investment, and you will thank yourself time and time again - taking the frustration out of the chopping and dicing. Here's the knife that I use: 


GO Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!